Am I the only one that saw Netflix's "What The Health" then started obsessing over the vegan revolution and binged watched "The Game Changers", "Cowspiracy", "Forks Over Knives", etc... ???
After watching for hours and reading way too many blogs and books, Im definitely starting to decrease my intake of animal products. Is not only good for my family's health, but also helps Mother Nature greatly.
At Ardea Home we believe that what you put on, in and around your body matters. That's why the fabric of our tablecloths was chosen carefully: no toxic and harmful BPAs, phthalates or lead. We were already choosing organic and simple ingredients when posible, so it only made sense that I upped the ante and minimize the animal products I was feeding to my family.
My kids loooove (LOVE!) banana bread. The other day, I was about to make one, and I thought... "let me try this the vegan way, see if I can get it to taste good enough so my uber picky girls eat it". I started substituting all the animal ingredients, and adding others to compensate for the loss of protein, and what do you know... it turned out GREAT!
This is the result:
I substituted the eggs with Chia Seeds, more fibre for the win! And instead of adding some nuts (which my kids would always pick out anyways) I added some hemp seeds to up the protein content. The hemp seeds were barely noticeable and my girls didn't even comment. #anotherwin
Instead of the milk, I replaced with coconut milk. I wasn't sure about this one, but since the recipe called for so little, I went for it.
Im thinking next time I will add some vegan chocolate chips... mmm!
Let me know if you make this and if you liked it!
Featured here: Gallica wipe-clean tablecloth. Our laminated cotton is luscious and soft to the touch, but also is made with your family's health is mind: no harmful toxins, no plastic. Browse our designs here!
BEST EVER VEGAN BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- 2 cups organic flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ⅔ cups of organic sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ripped bananas mashed very well
- ½ cup hemp seeds
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds with ⅓ cup of water and let it sit for 15 mins.
2. Add flour, baking soda and salt to a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
3. Mix chia seeds mixture, sugar and oil and stir until well combined
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well. The mixture will be thick and dry.
5. Next add the coconut milk, vanilla and the mashed ripe bananas. Stir until incorporated.
6. Mix in hemp seeds and pour into a loaf pan.
7. Cook 55-75 minutes, checking regularly until a knife or wooden pick comes out clean.